British law says that every child in the UK aged 5 to 16 must receive an education. Education in the UK is provided free of charge. There are a number of different schools that your child(ren) will be expected to attend. Parents must ensure that their children go to school. Boys and girls receive the same education. The school year starts in September.

A school for children under 5 is called a Nursery School. You do not have to send your child to a nursery school if you do not want to. If you do want your child to go to Nursery School this can be arranged. There are different schools for children of different ages. These are as follows:-

-Infant Schools - These are schools for children aged between 4 to 7 years old.
-Primary Schools - These are schools for children aged between 4 to 11 years old.
-Junior Schools - These are schools for children aged between 7 to 11 years old.
-Secondary Schools - These are for children aged between 11 to 16 years old.

 When a child reaches the age of 16, education is no longer compulsory. Young people who wish to continue their education can choose to continue at school or go to college.
Afro-British Support Services "IMPACT" and support organisations and one stop shops can tell you more about schools in the area you live in and will help you get a place in a school for your child. You must ensure your children attend school.

School education for children under 4 years of age:
School education for children under 4 years of age is not compulsory but it is available with arrangement. Your options include the following:-
         Nurseries - Children who are 3 and 4 years old can receive 12 hours free sessions in a nursery each week. For children under 3 years of age you would have to pay for the sessions.
         Play groups - Provide education for children between 2 and 5 years old. Sessions can be in the   morning or afternoons and usually last between 2 and 4 hours.
         Child minders - a man or woman who looks after children from birth to 8 years of age in their own home for at least two hours per day.
Crèches are where parents can leave their children for a short period of time usually to attend adult education, leisure activities or whilst they go shopping.
Parent and Toddler Groups - these are groups that are usually free of charge. Adult carer's can take children to make friends with other children and to all play with their children together.

It is a criminal offense to keep children away from school for no reason. You may face legal proceedings if you are caught doing this.

Birmingham) or 0121 303 4425 (South Birmingham).

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) could give young people up to £30.00 per week to help out with the costs of staying in learning after 16 years of age. Whatever you learn after 16 years of age, it could offer you the opportunity to get good training, better qualifications and a good job. If you qualify, EMA payments are £10, £20 or £30 per week depending on your household income.

By law, parents must ensure that their child is receiving a suitable education from the age of five until they are sixteen. In Birmingham and Solihull, your child can start to go to school in September following his/her 4th birthday.

If you require any help in finding a school place, please contact the Admissions and Appeals Section on 0121 464 5512/5513 or:
Afro-British Support Services "IMPACT"
 Unit 6 Friends’ Institute, 220 Moseley Road,  Birmingham,  B12 ODG
Tel.: 0121 773 9426,  0121 773 5325,  Fax: 0121 772 7463, Email: 
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Further Education for Adults
During your stay in Birmingham and Solihull you can attend ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes. It is important that you try to study ESOL because it will:-
         Improve your level of English which will help you learn more about living and working in the UK
          Help you to increase your understanding of the integration process which you are going through
         Help you to converse with other people
         Help to increase your confidence and to live and contribute to your local community

ESOL is no longer free, except to priority groups, which will include people who are unemployed or are receiving income-based benefits and Asylum Seekers who have been waiting for 6 months and more. This means that asylum seekers will not be automatically eligible for free tuition. Refugees who are unemployed or in receipt of income-based benefits will still be eligible for free ESOL tuition. Asylum seekers aged 16-18 are eligible for free ESOL tuition. 

There are many ESOL providers in Birmingham and Solihull. Detailed below are the main providers of ESOL classes in Birmingham.
Sutton Coldfield College
Great Barr Campus, Aldridge Road, Great Barr, Birmingham, B44 8NE
Telephone 0845 155 0101

Birmingham Adult Education Service
2nd Floor Central Library
Chamberlain Square, Birmingham, B3 3HQ
Telephone 0121 303 4318

South Birmingham College
Hall Green Campus, Cole Bank Road, Hall Green, Birmingham, B28 8ES
Telephone 0121 694 5000

City College Birmingham
The Council House, Soho Road, Handsworth, Birmingham, B21 9DP
Telephone 0121 204 0000

Bournville College
Bristol Road South, Northfield, Birmingham, B31 2AJ
Telephone 0121 483 1111

Matthew Boulton College
Jennens Road, Birmingham, B4 7PS
Telephone 0121 446 4545

Solihull College
Blossomfield Campus, Blossomfield Road, Solihull, B91 1SB
Telephone 0121 678 7000

For further information about ESOL call us:

Afro-British Support Services "IMPACT"

Unit 6 Friends’ Institute, 220 Moseley Road, Birmingham, B12 ODG
Tel.: 0121 773 9426,  0121 773 5325,  Fax: 0121 772 7463, Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 Higher Education for Adults
If you wish to find out more about higher education opportunities call any of the Birmingham Universities. Details are below. Degrees and diplomas gained abroad may need to be converted in order for them to be recognised in the UK. To get a letter of comparability of your certificates call NARIC on 0871 330 7033 or visit their website Some professions like doctors, nurses or lawyers may require retraining or additional qualifications.

The University of Birmingham
Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, Telephone 0121 414 3344

 University of Aston
Aston Triangle, Aston, Birmingham, B4 7ET
Telephone 0121 204 3000

 Birmingham City University
Perry Barr, Birmingham, B42 2SU
Telephone 0121 331 5595

 It is important to consider very carefully the financial implications of studying in the UK. Fees for non-European students are charged at a higher rate because the University does not receive any Government funding. Although it may be possible to obtain limited work while you are studying in the UK, students from outside the European Economic Area do not have automatic right to do so. Annual fees for overseas students range from £5,250 to £10,300. A student can be exempted from the higher rate International Fee by showing a 'relevant connection' with the UK or the European Union. To demonstrate a relevant connection you must meet all of the following requirements:-·         You have settled status in the UK/EU. That is you must be ordinarily resident in the UK/EU without being subject, under the immigration laws, to any time restrictions. For example, you must be a British Citizen or have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain, Indefinite Leave to Enter or Right of Abode by the UK Government.

·         You have been ordinarily resident in the UK/EU throughout the three year period before the start of your course.
At no time during the relevant period must your residency in the UK/EU have been wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full time education.

You may also be exempted from the higher rate International Fee if:-
         You are recognised by the UK Government as a refugee and have been ordinarily resident in the UK since being recognised as a refugee.
         You have been informed in writing by the UK Government that you have been granted Exceptional Leave to Remain, Discretionary Leave to Remain or Humanitarian Leave to Remain in the UK.
         You are a European Economic Area (EEA) migrant worker or the child of an EEA migrant worker.
         You are an exchange student.

If you are unsure whether you would be classified as a 'home' or 'overseas' student for fee payment purposes and would like clarification before submitting an application, you should contact International Admissions at your chosen University or College.

School lunches are provided free of charge to children of asylum seekers. School uniforms are worn by some primary schools and all secondary schools. Parents/guardians are expected to provide these. Please do not purchase school uniforms until you have received confirmation of a school place. If you are experiencing financial difficulties to buy school uniforms for your children please notify your case owner or the refugee community organisations or the school.

All travel costs have to be paid for by you. In exceptional circumstances financial assistance will be given.
Please contact the Education Department
Transport Section by telephoning 0121 303 2450 




©2016 Afro-British Support Services